[R-sig-Geo] Projection of a large spherical surface on to a plane [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Jin.Li at ga.gov.au Jin.Li at ga.gov.au
Wed Apr 29 08:44:28 CEST 2009

Thank you all for your kind help.

Following examples from the link provided by Edzer, I tested the difference between:
1. projection specified
coordinates(data.file.dev) = ~LON+LAT
proj4string(data.file.dev)=CRS("+proj=longlat")
vgm1 <- variogram(sqrt(mud)~1, data.file.dev)
model.1 <- fit.variogram(vgm1,vgm(1,"Exp",5,1))
coordinates(data.file.pred) = ~LON+LAT
proj4string(data.file.pred)=CRS("+proj=longlat")
mud.ok <- krige(sqrt(mud)~1, data.file.dev, data.file.pred, model = model.1)
mud.pred<- as.data.frame(mud.ok)

2. projection not specified
coordinates(data.file.dev) = ~LON+LAT
vgm1 <- variogram(sqrt(mud)~1, data.file.dev)
model.1 <- fit.variogram(vgm1,vgm(1,"Exp",5,1))
coordinates(data.file.pred) = ~LON+LAT
mud.ok <- krige(sqrt(mud)~1, data.file.dev, data.file.pred, model = model.1)
mud.pred<- as.data.frame(mud.ok)

The above code was applied to 50 datasets from an area spanning ca. 20 degrees in terms of longitude from 9 to 18 degrees south in latitude. Kriging with projection specified gave 'Warning: singular model in variogram fit' for three datasets and the consequent predictions are poor. After removing the results for these datasets, the average MAE and RMSE for the remaining 47 datasets are:
Projection specified    MAE             RMSE
Yes                             12.986  18.335
No                              12.977  18.326
It seems that the difference in terms of MAE and RMSE is really marginal. Is there any thing wrong with the code or we can really ignore the specification of projection?

To Paul, the impression was based on the comparison of the results from a few equal distance projection methods with utm projection that was used as a control.

To Martin, the projection used for the map you mentioned is Lambert conformal conic. The hexagons method seems doing a good job at pole area, while for regions between 0 to 50 degrees in latitude the effect is not so obvious.

Cheers,
Jin