[R-sig-Geo] Projection of a large spherical surface on to a plane [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Martin Renner martin.renner at stonebow.otago.ac.nz
Tue Apr 28 19:01:29 CEST 2009

While it should be straightforward to calculate great circle
distances, designing a rectangular grid on a sphere is not. There's a
solution for a global grid using hexagons (Teanby, 2006), but I
haven't seen it implemented in R (yet). My gut feeling is that for
Australia there's a standard projection used by geographers that's
reasonably distortion-free and should be plenty accurate given that
you're working on such a large scale. Checking the fine print of that
big map on your wall might be a good start.

HTH,
Martin

Martin Renner
current address:
Alaska Maritime NWR             		907-226-4672 (work)
Homer, AK 99603, USA				907-235-7783 (fax)

@article{Teanby:2006aa,
	Author = {Teanby, N. A.},
	Journal = {Computers and Geosciences},
	Number = {9},
	Pages = {1442--1450},
	Title = {An icosahedron-based method for even binning of globally
distributed remote sensing data},
	Volume = {32},
	Year = {2006}}