[R-sig-Geo] Lattice with autocorrelation and predetermined values

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Mon Apr 20 10:09:15 CEST 2009

On Sun, 19 Apr 2009, Virgilio Gomez Rubio wrote:

> Dear Simon,
>

> Perhaps you could model your data using a multivariate Normal with
> spatial autocorrelation (using a SAR or CAR specification). In this way,
> you can fix some of the values and then simulate the rest. You can tune
> the autocorrelation coefficient to make sure that the spatial
> correlation is large enough to give high values of Moran's I.

Yes, this is the way to go, but raises practical problems for a 100 by 100
grid (10') observations. In this case, you would need to use a "W" or "C"
style weights list, convert to sparse matrix format, and power the matrix
some k times. The inverse of (I - rho W) will then be the sum of:

rho^i W^i, for i=0,...,k

Using the "B" style and/or some kinds of general weights may lead to a
slow convergence of rho^k W^k to machine zero.

Note also that rho is not Moran's I, but is scaled depending on the
structure of W and its extreme eigenvalues.

The original idea of swapping values cell-wise will not work, because the
values propagate through (I - rho W)^{-1}, so you'd need to choose from n
samples (permutations) of the input vector. Just sample the vector say
10000 times, compute Moran's I (possibly simplifying the code for speed),
and choose one of the outputs satisfying your criteria. You need to think
about storage and about reproducibility (think set.seed() and friends, to
record the state of the RNG before each permutation, rather than the
permutation vector.

For a 10 by 10 raster, this might look like:

library(spdep)
n <- 100
set.seed(1)
input <- rnorm(n)
nb <- cell2nb(10, 10, torus=TRUE)
lw <- nb2listw(nb, style="C")
S0 <- Szero(lw)
seeds <- sample.int(1e7, 1e4)
outI <- sapply(seeds, function(x) {
   set.seed(x)
   perm <- sample.int(n, n)
   moran(input[perm], lw, n, S0)$I
})
hist(outI)

What you notice is that you'd actually need a very large number of samples
to achieve even moderate autocorrelation, so maybe the SAR simulation is
the way to go, or maybe an SMA scheme:

n <- 100
set.seed(1)
input <- rnorm(n)
nb <- cell2nb(10, 10, torus=TRUE)
lw <- nb2listw(nb, style="C")
S0 <- Szero(lw)
input <- input + 0.9 * lag(lw, input)
moran(input, lw, n, S0)$I

for avoiding the problem of inverting a large matrix, or approximating
through the sum of a power series.

Hope this helps,

Roger