[R-sig-Geo] Rgdal-Postgis driver on Windows

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Tue Oct 28 17:37:54 CET 2008

On Tue, 28 Oct 2008, Standaert Arnout wrote:

> Hello list,
>
> I'm currently trying to efficiently load some Postgis layers in R using
> rgdal's readOGR() function. The problem is simple: the Postgis driver is
> not provided in the OGR distrition used by rgdal (as shown by
> ogrDrivers() ).
>
> I'm not very familiar with the technical details, but my impression is
> that rgdal should be explicitly compiled with the Postgis driver
> included. Is that right? Is that the only way to get this working?
> I did try to install FWTools and it does include the Postgis driver for
> OGR, but rgdal seems to be using it's own OGR binaries (located in
> libgdal-1.dll?), so that did not solve the problem...

You'll be involved in compiling if you need extra drivers. The gory
details are at:

file.show(system.file("README.windows", package="rgdal"))

within running R and loaded rgdal. Consider using ogr2ogr from FWTools
through system() to convert to a format for which you have a driver in
rgdal.

Hope this helps,

Roger