[R-sig-Geo] subsetting

Dylan Beaudette dylan.beaudette at gmail.com
Mon Oct 27 17:01:31 CET 2008

And as a tasty GRASS-based follow-up:

the interested user can take a look at the following functions;

# change the resolution, resampling is automatic via NN
g.region
r.mapcalc "new_resampled = old_map"

# up-sample (or down-scale) via NN, bilinear, or cubic interpolation
r.resamp.interp

# down-sample (or up-scale) via block- mean, median, mode, etc.
r.resamp.stats

# coordinate transformation across projections / datums
# will also resample to new grid topology via NN, bilinear, cubic,
# cubic-splines, etc.
r.proj

These operations can be performed from within R, via the spgrass6 package.
FOSS GIS means lots of options for these kind of common operations on
geographic data!

Cheers,

Dylan

On Monday 27 October 2008, Hengl, T. wrote:
> Edzer,
>
> I agree, your example is straight forward. But this is really a
> simplification of the problem, especially if you go from Cartesian to
> geographical coordinates (LatLon).
>
> This is how typically reproject+resample grids in R:
> > data(meuse.grid)
> > coordinates(meuse.grid) <- ~x+y
> > gridded(meuse.grid) <- TRUE
> > proj4string(meuse.grid) = CRS("+init=epsg:28992")
>
> # reprojection (first from grid to point map)
>
> > meuse.grid.ll <- spTransform(meuse.grid, CRS("+proj=longlat
> > +datum=WGS84"))
>
> # estimate a suitable grid cell size in the new coordinate system:
> > corrf <-
> > (1+cos((meuse.grid.ll at bbox[2,2]+meuse.grid.ll at bbox[2,1])/2*pi/180))/2 #
> > correction factor based on the latitude geogrd.cell <-
> > corrf*(meuse.grid.ll at bbox[1,2]-meuse.grid.ll at bbox[1,1])/meuse.grid at grid@c
> >ells.dim[1] geoarc <- spsample(meuse.grid.ll, type="regular",
> > cellsize=c(geogrd.cell,geogrd.cell)) gridded(geoarc) = TRUE
> > gridparameters(geoarc)
>
>    cellcentre.offset     cellsize cells.dim
> x1          5.721603 0.0004603493        96
> x2         50.956995 0.0004603493        80
>
> > gridparameters(meuse.grid)
> > grid.x <- geoarc at coords[geoarc at coords[,2]==geoarc at coords[1,2],1]
> > grid.y <- geoarc at coords[geoarc at coords[,1]==geoarc at coords[1,1],2]
>
> # bilinear resampling:
> > library(akima)
> > dist.grid.ll <- interp(x=meuse.grid.ll at coords[,1],
> > y=meuse.grid.ll at coords[,2], z=meuse.grid.ll$dist, xo=grid.x, yo=grid.y,
> > extrap=F, linear=T) dist.grid.ll <-
> > as.SpatialGridDataFrame.im(as.im(dist.grid.ll))
> > proj4string(dist.grid.ll) = CRS("+proj=longlat +datum=WGS84")
> > print(spplot(meuse.grid["dist"], scales=list(draw=T, cex=.8)),
> > split=c(1,1,2,1), more=T) print(spplot(dist.grid.ll[1],
> > scales=list(draw=T, cex=.8)), split=c(2,1,2,1), more=T)
>
> What 'interp' method of akima does is exactly what e.g. MapResample method
> in ILWIS does (except ILWIS does it in one line, but you have to get the
> data to ILWIS format first).
>
> I just remembered that one can also use SAGA GIS to reproject/resample grids
from a coordinate system to geographic coordinates (and back) using the proj4
module:
> > rsaga.get.modules("pj_proj4")
> > rsaga.get.usage("pj_proj4",1)

> SAGA CMD 2.0.3
> library path:   C:/Progra~1/saga_vc/modules
> library name:   pj_proj4
> module name :   Proj4 (Grid)
> author      :   (c) 2003 by O.Conrad
>
> Note that SAGA makes it possible to use a range of resampling techniques
> (this would allow you to do e.g. down/up-scaling):

>  -INTERPOLATION:<num>                  Grid Interpolation
>         Choice
>         Available Choices:
>         [0] Nearest Neigbhor
>         [1] Bilinear Interpolation
>         [2] Inverse Distance Interpolation
>         [3] Bicubic Spline Interpolation
>         [4] B-Spline Interpolation
>
> This is an example of a command that can be used to reproject/resample from
TM to geographic grid (note that you can also leave it to SAGA to estimate
the bounding box / new grid topology):