[R-sig-Geo] GRASS and R

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Sun Oct 5 19:53:29 CEST 2008

Alexandre VILLERS wrote:

> Good afternoon,
>
> I started using R because I appreciated all its possibilities and the
> general idea of Public software. Since I'm also getting involved in
> spatial analysis, I would like to start using GRASS (with R) for the
> same reason (fleixibility, updates, etc.).
> I've been using ArcGis for a while now and so have some knowledge on GIS
> software but no one in my lab is using GRASS and so I have to start form
> the beginning. I downloaded some tutorials but for the moment it remains
> quite dark to me, especially with the GRASS 6.3.0 version, for which
> documentation appears to be scarce.
>
> Could someone advise me with a tutorial which would help me with
> handling GRASS (something like "GRASS for the beginners") and connecting
> GRASS to R (using spgrass6).
>
> Best regards
>
> Alex

I found Grass a little confusing to start with also, I would suggest you
actually start with QGIS which contains a plugin to access grass. It can
help you get the feel for how grass works and stores data. There are
also several plugins that use R to perform operations, so if you're into
programming you could learn from those.

Here are some tutorials that might help you
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Educational_Content_Inventory

Alex