[R-sig-Geo] ramping four color in xy space

Holger Kreft hkreft at ucsd.edu
Tue Nov 18 09:38:05 CET 2008

Hi,

I have run a metaMDS(vegan) on ecological community data and have a nice
plot in xy space.
What I want to do next is to assign a unique color to each point in the
plot and then look at how these communities map out in geographic space.
So, each corner of the plot has a color (let's say green, blue, red and
yellow). I guess I have to ramp the colors for the space inbetween.
The right plot here illustrate how the palette should look like:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/erniebooth/183647844/

Does anyone have experience in ramping four colours in 2-D? I looked at
a lot of packages, but they are all not doing what I want.

Any hint / help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Holger