[R-sig-Geo] Defining a grid for interpolations ?

Oehler, Friderike (AGPP) Friderike.Oehler at fao.org
Fri May 23 15:12:48 CEST 2008

Dear Mauricio,

with some help of Dr. Rossiter, I once created a grid covering my study area
by importing a vector file delimiting the borders of the area and overlaying
it over the expanded grid:

# import the vector shape-file
area=readShapePoly('/.../my_area')

# in case that the vector file includes various polygons: extract from these
only the polygon you want to use for your grid, for instance:
area at data
levels(area$data1)
area[area$data1=='catchment',] -> catchment

# set up a fitting grid
grid <- expand.grid(x = seq(674400,730700,by=100), y =
seq(4615100,4744400,by=100))
coordinates(grid) <- c("x", "y")
catch.coor <- overlay(grid,catchment)
str(catch.coor)
catch.grid <- grid[!is.na(catch.coor),]
summary(catch.grid)
plot(catch.grid)

In case that you have a vector file of your catchment available, or can
create one, maybe this helps. However, the more experienced gstat users or
developers certainly know better advice.

Cheers, Friderike