[R-sig-Geo] error message when running errorsarlm

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Tue May 20 20:12:26 CEST 2008

On Tue, 20 May 2008, evans324 at umn.edu wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm working on Windows with 2GB RAM and am trying to run the errorsarlm with
> 32 predictor variables and 10,071 records. I created my listw object using
> the dnearneigh function with an upper distance limit of 3000m. I used the
> following code with method=Matrix to deal with memory limitations:
>
> rams_dak3k.err <- errorsarlm(LN_PRICE~., data=reg_vars,
> rams_dak.dnear3k.listw, zero.policy=TRUE, method="Matrix")
>
> When I run this, I get the following error message repeated many times:
>
> Error in stop(gettextf("no method or default for coercing \"%s\" to \"%s\"",
> :
> no function to return from, jumping to top level
> In addition: Warning message:
> In optimize(sar.error.f.M, interval = interval, maximum = TRUE,  :
>  NA/Inf replaced by maximum positive value

A bit more context would help. The output of sessionInfo() at least (R and
package versions may matter), plus the preceding code, including the
definition of rams_dak.dnear3k.listw - is it row-standardised? Running
traceback() immediately after the error would also be helpful to see where
in functions called by sar.error.f.M() the problem is occurring. If I
understand correctly, the error messages cycle, but the rams_dak3k.err
object is created? Could you run it with quiet=FALSE, so see the function
values as they are generated in optimize()? The NAs usually come from the
interval= being too broad wrt. your weights style.

Roger

e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no