[R-sig-Geo] Qgis-Rmanage and geographic display of spatial objects

Agustin Lobo Agustin.Lobo at ija.csic.es
Wed May 14 08:14:56 CEST 2008

Carson Farmer wrote:
> This is certainly where I would like to see manageR go someday! But
> unfortunately this would entail programming in C, which requires someone
> much more skilled than myself!
> For now I simply use it instead of jumping between the two applications...
> Your suggestion about displaying sp objects was a topic of discussion
> for the QGIS bridge2R team (of which I am a member), but we ended up
> putting this aside, as we felt that the average QGIS user would rather
> have all the R stuff happen 'behind the scenes' on their input vector
> layers directly, rather than knowingly interacting with R.

I cannot but disagree here. "QGIS user have all the R stuff happen
'behind the scenes'" because they cannot have it on the scenario. I strongly
recommend having a look to GeoDa to feel the power of interactive
exploratory geographic data analysis. It is a fundamental step for
thinking and generating hypothesis that are formally tested afterwards
and then interactively displayed again. Unfortunately, GeoDa does not
have a real geographic display, as would be the case of QGis, and does
not have the amazing flexibility of R. I note
that GeoDa is becoming OS at some point,  and could be an excellent
source of inspiration.

Also, note how powerful would be applying R syntaxis to the data tables
associated to vector data. This is very easy with the "data slot" of R
SpatialDataFrame objects, but there is always the annoying step of going
through the shp export to display in QGIS (although I think that your
Rmanage makes easier the step).

> I tend to
> agree with this idea for that particular project, but for manageR,
> displaying sp objects would be great!

Yes!

I think in the end this would
> require an ogr/gdal driver for sp objects as Barry Rowlingson has
> previously suggested here, and in the r-sig-geo lists.
>
> I have started to look at some brushing and linking functions using the
> iPlots R package, and should hopefully be able to implement some of
> these things in the future...?

Actually, perhaps we could make people from Rosuda get interested on
developing an "igeoplots" package!

Agus

--
Dr. Agustin Lobo
Institut de Ciencies de la Terra "Jaume Almera" (CSIC)
email: Agustin.Lobo at ija.csic.es
http://www.ija.csic.es/gt/obster