[R-sig-Geo] Qgis-user Digest, Vol 27, Issue 13

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Tue May 13 23:19:07 CEST 2008

Carson Farmer wrote:
> I think in the end this would
> require an ogr/gdal driver for sp objects as Barry Rowlingson has
> previously suggested here, and in the r-sig-geo lists.

  Progress on this has been minimal: I managed to create an ogr driver
with a new name! There's a few places that you need to edit to link in
the new driver in the ogr build system. Then I started to worry about
how to link in to libR.so and stopped there. I need to find out how the
OGR build system works with other library dependencies, and that
probably means understanding autoconf... Beyond me at the moment...

> I have started to look at some brushing and linking functions using the
> iPlots R package, and should hopefully be able to implement some of
> these things in the future...?

  Isn't the ultimate in linking and brushing GGobi? There's a link from
R to GGobi for displaying R data in GGobi. What might be nice would be a
GGobi plugin for Qgis - set up so that brushed items in the GGobi view
are highlighted in the Qgis map.

  I've looked at the C code in the R-GGobi interface and it looks very
difficult....

Barry