[R-sig-Geo] thinlines equivalent?

David PINAUD pinaud at cebc.cnrs.fr
Mon Jun 30 16:55:44 CEST 2008

maybe you can try the function dp() in the package "shapefiles", which
is an implementation of the Douglas-Peucker polyLine simplification
algorithm.
Hope it helps
David

David Hugh-Jones a écrit :
> Hi all
>
> I have a big dataset of points and am doing stuff on them that takes a
> lot of time. To speed it up, I would like to use "thinlines" from
> RArcinfo, which basically makes the maps "rougher" by throwing away
> points. Is there an equivalent function for SpatialPolygon type
> objects? (I assume that there's no way to convert _to_ Arcinfo, though
> I know it's possible to read from it).
>
> Cheers
>
> David Hugh-Jones
> PhD Candidate
> Essex University Department of Government
> http://davidhughjones.googlepages.com

David PINAUD
Ingénieur de Recherche "Analyses spatiales"

Centre d'Etudes Biologiques de Chizé - CNRS UPR1934
79360 Villiers-en-Bois, France
poste 485
Tel: +33 (0)5.49.09.35.58
Fax: +33 (0)5.49.09.65.26