[R-sig-Geo] Geospatial R Beginner Resources?

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Thu Jun 26 18:44:15 CEST 2008

On Thu, 26 Jun 2008, Eric Peterson wrote:

> Is there a website/document/other that provides a good, basic, overview
> of (A) the available libraries, (b) the processes they make available,
> and (c) some demos of how to implement them?
>
> I am quite familiar and comfortable with regular use of R for 'standard'
> statistical analyses and graph making.  In the past, I've had access to
> some expensive remote sensing software as well as ESRI products for my
> Geospatial work, including landscape analyses and remote sensing of
> vegetation.  My current job has access only to the ESRI products,
> leaving me without much for the remote sensing end of my work.  As I
> understand it, at least some capabilities are now available in R, but
> will require a bit of work to learn.  Although I am a little bit of a
> programmer capable of struggling through most of my needs, I think it
> would take me several days of searching through the package documents on
> the cran website to figure out just a few basics.

http://CRAN.R-project.org/view=Spatial

is one of now many Task View pages trying to give some guidance in the
wealth of contributed packages. Please indicate whether it gets you
started, and how it might be improved. You'll find examples on the help
pages of the packages - try looking at them, pasting them into a running R
session (with the required packages loaded), or running example() of a
command with executable examples.

Roger