[R-sig-Geo] Geospatial R Beginner Resources?

Eric Peterson epeterson at cnps.org
Thu Jun 26 18:22:27 CEST 2008

Is there a website/document/other that provides a good, basic, overview of (A) the available libraries, (b) the processes they make available, and (c) some demos of how to implement them?

I am quite familiar and comfortable with regular use of R for 'standard' statistical analyses and graph making.  In the past, I've had access to some expensive remote sensing software as well as ESRI products for my Geospatial work, including landscape analyses and remote sensing of vegetation.  My current job has access only to the ESRI products, leaving me without much for the remote sensing end of my work.  As I understand it, at least some capabilities are now available in R, but will require a bit of work to learn.  Although I am a little bit of a programmer capable of struggling through most of my needs, I think it would take me several days of searching through the package documents on the cran website to figure out just a few basics.

Thanks!
-Eric
---
Eric B. Peterson, Ph.D.