[R-sig-Geo] kriging

Paulo Justiniano Ribeiro Jr paulojus at c3sl.ufpr.br
Mon Jun 16 22:21:47 CEST 2008

Dave,

what is necessary for UK is a relation expressed by a linear model, not
necessaraly a linear relation between the variables.
e.g. you could have a second degree polinomial and still work within the
scope of universal kriging.

On Mon, 16 Jun 2008, Dave Depew wrote:

> Hi all,
> I have a data set that I would like to krige to interpolate between
> transects. There is a non-linear trend between two of the variables...my
> impression from reading the gstat help file is that there must be a
> linear relationship between the data to use universal kriging?
> Second, would a method of non-linear regression followed by modelling of
> the residuals with a semivariogram be an appropriate solution?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dave

Paulo Justiniano Ribeiro Jr
LEG (Laboratorio de Estatistica e Geoinformacao)
Universidade Federal do Parana
Caixa Postal 19.081
CEP 81.531-990
Curitiba, PR  -  Brasil