[R-sig-Geo] R Raster to ArcGIS

Ashton Shortridge ashton at msu.edu
Tue Jul 29 20:54:00 CEST 2008

Hi Matt (and list),

ArcGIS still (as far as I know) doesn't work with rectangular cells. This
isn't a problem with the AsciitoGrid function, but I think is more
fundamentally a problem with Arc's raster data structure.

The trick to getting around this may be to convert your matrix to a point
object - with x, y, and z values - in R, where x and y correspond to the
ground coordinates of each cell in the matrix. I think you would have to do
this with your own code, but if you've programmed with arrays before it would
not be difficult. Then interpolate these points to a square grid. The
interpolation could be done in R (using gstat routines for example) or within
a GIS (that is, write the xyz object to a text file, or perhaps straight to a
shapefile, import it as a vector point set to a GIS, and then convert that to
a raster.

Hope this helps,

Ashton

--
Ashton Shortridge
Associate Professor			ashton at msu.edu
Dept of Geography			http://www.msu.edu/~ashton
235 Geography Building		ph (517) 432-3561
Michigan State University		fx (517) 432-1671