[R-sig-Geo] kriging

Paulo Justiniano Ribeiro Jr paulojus at c3sl.ufpr.br
Fri Jul 4 13:57:25 CEST 2008

Dear Frede

I would not say that the methods discussed in the MBG book should be
refered as "regression kriging".

As far as I understand, the term "regression kriging", despite of all
variations, refer to proposals/algorithms for which predictions are
obtained combining two stages:
1. get predictions by some method (linear model, GLM, GAM, trees, etc)
   without accounting for the spatial correlations by a stochastic
   mechanism, without assuming a random field
2. either use or combine the above with some sort of kriging, i.e.,
   spatial predictions assuming and using the spatial covariance structure
This brings issue on how to assess prediction variances and so on.

The algorithms in geoR and geoRglm **does not** follow
this kind of two stage route.
**Given the assumed model**, the inference and prediction
follows from it and therefore likelihood based methods
(including Bayesian) can be adopted.

This does come with some price ---
As Edzer already pointed, for very large number of data points
this can be prohibitive for dealing with large covariance matrices
and this is a limitation of geoR/geoRglm.
There are possible workarounds still within the same paradigma
but not (yet?) implemented in such packages

best
P.J.

Paulo Justiniano Ribeiro Jr
LEG (Laboratorio de Estatistica e Geoinformacao)
Universidade Federal do Parana
Caixa Postal 19.081
CEP 81.531-990
Curitiba, PR  -  Brasil