[R-sig-Geo] FYI: Merging GIS and statistics --- RSAGA

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Wed Jan 30 18:51:28 CET 2008

Agustin Lobo wrote:
> So the work is
> perhaps more on the GIS side, which should be able to represent
> R spatial objects, or provide R with a real geographical display.

  Now this could be done with a GDAL/OGR driver for R-spatial objects
(stored in .RData files). Then you could use any GIS with GDAL/OGR
capabilities to make pretty maps with R objects.

  I'm not really au fait with writing and linking GDAL/OGR drivers, but
the code would have to link with libR and require the sp package... Fun.
Anyone up for it?

Barry