[R-sig-Geo] turning polygons shapefile into quadrats

Dylan Beaudette dylan.beaudette at gmail.com
Tue Dec 30 15:52:18 CET 2008

On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 3:41 AM, francesco <francesco.pirotti at unipd.it> wrote:
> Dear List,
>
> I have been banging my head on a problem for three days now, so I believe the time has come to look for help.
>
> I have a polygon shapefile with an irregular grid and I would like to turn the polygons in the shapefile into tiles to use with "quadratcount" method in spatstat package.
>
> I have been coercing back and forth with lists, slots, classes and I got a little lost into trying to turn the coordinates of the shapes into tiles.
>
> The final objective is to extract statistics on points falling inside each polygons.  The points are a SpatialPointsDataframe class with attributes which will be analysed in each polygon as if the polygons were containers.

Hi. This is not a complete solution, but you may find some tips on
these two sources:

1. http://casoilresource.lawr.ucdavis.edu/drupal/node/644
2. http://casoilresource.lawr.ucdavis.edu/drupal/node/551

The first one deals with iterating over polygons, the second on
conversion between sp and spatstat classes.

Cheers,

Dylan