[R-sig-Geo] turning polygons shapefile into quadrats

francesco francesco.pirotti at unipd.it
Tue Dec 30 12:41:24 CET 2008

Dear List,

I have been banging my head on a problem for three days now, so I believe the time has come to look for help.

I have a polygon shapefile with an irregular grid and I would like to turn the polygons in the shapefile into tiles to use with "quadratcount" method in spatstat package.

I have been coercing back and forth with lists, slots, classes and I got a little lost into trying to turn the coordinates of the shapes into tiles.

The final objective is to extract statistics on points falling inside each polygons.  The points are a SpatialPointsDataframe class with attributes which will be analysed in each polygon as if the polygons were containers.

I hope I have explained clearly and that someone can point towards a method to use for this.

PS  I am relatively new to R, but it's fantastic.

Cheers,
--------------------------------------
Francesco Pirotti
Dept. Te.S.A.F./CIRGEO