[R-sig-Geo] semivariogram + coordinate units

Pedro Mardones mardones.p at gmail.com
Fri Apr 11 20:10:46 CEST 2008

Thanks for the advice. I found this comment on a web page (from a
geostats class): "...If the data coordinates were in different units
then we would need to standardize these coordinates (otherwise km in
the horizontal and m in the vertical produce very flatten out
grids)...", so I'm wondering that if by using "relative" locations
(say 0 to 1) instead of the absolute ones (cm or m) can be utilized as
an alternative for the analysis. The point is that by transforming
everything to meters I'm having some problems to fit the models and I
guess is due to the reduced range of the x-axis (0-0.02 m) compare to
the y-axis (0-20 m).
BTW: the grid represents a set of data points measured within a pole,
so that's the reason of the differences in scale (x is from the center
of the pole to the outer part of the pole) and y from the bottom to
the top.
PM