[R-sig-Geo] question about regression kriging

Edzer Pebesma edzer.pebesma at uni-muenster.de
Wed Apr 9 10:49:00 CEST 2008

Tom,

I'm afraid things are harder than you sketch. In glm's, the parameter
estimation is done using iteratively reweighted least squares, where the
weights depend on a variance function that links the variance of
observations to the mean. So, observations (residuals) are assumed to be
unstationary, in principle, and because of the mean-dependency this
changes over the iterations. The equations and references you mention
afaik all assume a known, and fixed variogram, and one-step solutions,
no iteration.

Also, you falsly accuse me of claiming one cannot back-transform
prediction variances. I did not claim this (I have seen suggestions on
how to do this), I just asked how David would do this.
--
Edzer