[R-sig-Geo] drawing a vector map on top of an aerial photograph

Bjarke Christensen Bjarke.Christensen at sydbank.dk
Tue Apr 1 15:38:59 CEST 2008

Hi,

I have a bunch of 256x256 pixel aerial photographs that span a territory
for which I also have simple arcview vector maps. I'd like to be able to
plot these vector maps along with some vector shapes that result from my
calculations, and to use the aerial photos as background.

Roger Bivand has answered a similar question on
http://tolstoy.newcastle.edu.au/R/e2/help/06/11/6178.html - but I can't
seem to get the solution to work. Specifically,
image(readGDAL("image.jpg")) produces an orange-tinted image which
naturally has no coordinates (since it's just a jpeg).

So my problem is firstly, how to attach coordinates to the raster image
when loading it, secondly, how to resample the image up to the same scale
as the vector map, and thirdly, how to 'glue' the tiles together to span
the area being mapped.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Bjarke.