[R-sig-Geo] Gaussian Variogram Positive Definite?

Paulo Justiniano Ribeiro Jr paulojus at c3sl.ufpr.br
Sat Sep 1 01:24:28 CEST 2007

Brian

Gaussian variograms are known to generate numeric problems
in case you have the nugget parameter equals to zero.
This occours because the almost flat
and with points very close to each other the covariance matrix will be
nearly-singular -- numerically singular.

Soma alternatives are:
1. choose another covariance model:
   for instance a Matern model with smoothness parameter  to ensure a
behaviour which is similar to the gaussian (e.g. kappa = 4 in the
parametrisation used in geoR

2. add a small nugget to the model to make the covariance matrix
diagonally dominant

hope this helps

best
P.J.

Paulo Justiniano Ribeiro Jr
LEG (Laboratório de Estatística e Geoinformação)
Universidade Federal do Paraná
Caixa Postal 19.081
CEP 81.531-990
Curitiba, PR  -  Brasil