[R-sig-Geo] GSTAT - measurement vs microscale variation

Zev Ross zev at zevross.com
Wed Oct 31 16:34:57 CET 2007

Hi Edzer,

Very useful, thank you. You might be able to tell from my posts that I'm
running these in parallel in GSTAT and geoR and comparing. It seems from
your note and example that it might simply be easier to add a centimeter
(provided a centimeter doesn't matter in the real world) to all the
coordinates. This way one would not need to keep track of the different
variances at coincident locations. Do you think this would be an
acceptable approach?

In terms of your coding, I'm a little uncertain about the meaning of the
add.to argument and how one might code, for example, half micro-scale
and half-measurement error. For the example you give, if there was a
nugget of 0.1 (half micro and half measurement) does my coding below
look correct? Why is fit.variogram not fitting on the model with error
-- it's not fitting any of the models I try with measurement error?

Zev

myvgmA<-vgm(.5, "Exp",300, nugget=0.1)
myvgmB<-vgm(.5, "Exp",300,nugget=0.05, add.to=vgm(.05,"Err",0))

fit.variogram(variogram(log(zinc)~1,meuse),model=myvgmA)
  model     psill    range
1   Nug 0.0000000   0.0000
2   Exp 0.7186526 449.7581

fit.variogram(variogram(log(zinc)~1,meuse),model=myvgmB)
  model psill range
1   Err  0.05     0
2   Nug  0.05     0
3   Exp  0.50   300