[R-sig-Geo] R-sig-Geo Digest, Vol 43, Issue 14

Nicholas Lewin-Koh nikko at hailmail.net
Fri Mar 16 17:23:11 CET 2007

Hi Tim,
Now I think I get it. What about the following:
1) threshold based on your qvalues
2) find all disconnected sets
3) For each disconnected set
  a) find the convex hull of the hexagon centers, this should be
  equivalent to the
     the convex hull of the hexagons themselves (convexity of the
     hexagons and a regular lattice)
  b) iterate from each (center)point on the hull, using only points in
  the set and test for an exterior neighbor,
     you have to be careful here due to holes, just keep a binary matrix
     of each hexagons exterior faces.
  c) invert the polygon and find the boundaries of interior holes
4) put it all together saving just the vertices of the hexagons sides on
the exterior

So you have already reduced your constant by 1/6 using the centers. I
think this should be no worse
than the convex hull itself times some function of n representing the
fraction of exterior polygon
centers.

Now you already have something that works so this is just thinking about
if you have to do it again or
do some simulations.

Cheers
Nicholas