[R-sig-Geo] classInterval(style="fisher") vs. ArcView GIS natural breaks

White.Denis at epamail.epa.gov White.Denis at epamail.epa.gov
Fri Mar 16 16:25:15 CET 2007

Just found out a little about this in ArcGIS (ArcMap), version 9.1.
Yes, apparently with large datasets, the "natural breaks" classification
(and maybe others like quantile) does sample.  However, it is possible
to change the sample size by clicking the "Sampling" button in the
Classification window.  With 40,000 cases it was really slow, however.

For R users, Roger Bivand's response is more relevant.