[R-sig-Geo] R-sig-Geo Digest, Vol 43, Issue 14

Nicholas Lewin-Koh nikko at hailmail.net
Fri Mar 16 15:52:59 CET 2007

Hi Tim,
You could compute the convex hull first, and then iterate from points
on the convex hull. That should be much faster already, especially since
hexagons are convex and the perimeter will be locally convex around all
the
points touching the convex hull. You could do a variation
of the "monotone pieces" algorithm that is used in computational
geometry.
But this is a simpler problem. Are there cases with interior holes?

I have been meaning to write something like this for hexbin for a while.
There
are many cases where it would be nice to find approximations to the
density contours
and a quick and dirty way is to threshold the hexagon counts, find the
hull and
smooth the perimeter.

Nicholas