[R-sig-Geo] Drawing circular contours

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Wed Mar 7 11:25:18 CET 2007

On Wed, 7 Mar 2007, Edzer J. Pebesma wrote:

> Gabor, sp provides a contour method for objects of class
> SpatialGridDataFrame. I don't know how you should create a grid such
> that contours are circles -- simplest to generate distances from
> specific points.

These are effectively vector buffers around points. My guess would be that
the "circle"-type functions sent to R-help (often for drawing not
returning a polygon-as-circle) could be used. For example, John Fox'
posting:

http://finzi.psych.upenn.edu/R/Rhelp02a/archive/74907.html

could be adapted (for the projected case, the geographical coordinates
case is more difficult). Then construct SpatialPolygons objects from the
output object. Or make a template polygon for (0,0) and shift to the
required (x,y) centres before making SpatialPolygons objects.

Hope this helps,

Roger

PS. Most GIS do this, and I think PostGIS/GEOS does too, but I don't think
any of them can store the output as anything other than a ring polygon.