[R-sig-Geo] Drawing circular contours

Edzer J. Pebesma e.pebesma at geo.uu.nl
Wed Mar 7 08:47:40 CET 2007

Gabor, sp provides a contour method for objects of class
SpatialGridDataFrame. I don't know how you should create a grid such
that contours are circles -- simplest to generate distances from
specific points. I don't know if there is easy way to do this right now;
a rather indirect way is to use the kriging variance from a linear
variogram and a 1-NN neighbourhood:

library(gstat) # requires sp
data(meuse)
coordinates(meuse) = ~x+y
data(meuse.grid)
gridded(meuse.grid) = ~x+y
# interpolate over the complete rectangular area, not just the study area:
meuse.grid = as(meuse.grid, "SpatialGrid")
# krige from 10 random points with linear variogram and 1-NN neighbourhood:
out = krige(log(zinc)~1,meuse[sample(1:155,10),], meuse.grid, vgm(1,
"Lin", 0), nmax=1)
# contour kriging variance:
contour(out[2], asp=1)

Note that the contour method does not set the aspect ratio by default --
an omission.
--
Edzer