[R-sig-Geo] Kriging

Robert Helber helber at nrlssc.navy.mil
Thu Jul 26 22:25:14 CEST 2007

I am attempting to krige a very large 2D region using the geoR package
(http://cran.ssds.ucdavis.edu/).  The geoR kriging works well for
regions that have stationary data.  My big region has areas where the
trend and possibly the variogram changes.  Because of this I am trying
to split up the big region into smaller regions that have more
stationary data so that I can krige each region separately.  The problem
I'm having is that sub-regions that are too small have too little data
to make a good variogram.  I need to choose the correct size sub-region.
  My total region is very big and need to automate the process.  Is
there R software out there that will help with this?  Is there a way to
choose the size of the subregion in a systematic and logical way?

Thanks.