[R-sig-Geo] OT : get lat-long coordinates

Stéphane Dray dray at biomserv.univ-lyon1.fr
Wed Jul 11 13:17:17 CEST 2007

Dear list,

I have a question, not directly linked to R, but I hope that some people
could help me. I have a paper, where there are some data that I would
like to analyse with spatial tools. In the appendix of the paper, for
each site, there are some data... but I do not have the spatial
coordinates of sites, I have only the name of the site, e.g. : Blue
Lake, WA 4. I would like to obtain coordinates (latitude and longitude)
for these sites. All the sites are in USA and Canada. I have two questions :
- what means the number in the address ? eg. what "4" means in Blue
Lake, WA 4 ?
- Do you know some sites/free tools that can be used to obtain the
spatial coordinates ?

Thanks in advance,

Sincerely.

--
Stéphane DRAY (dray at biomserv.univ-lyon1.fr )
Laboratoire BBE-CNRS-UMR-5558, Univ. C. Bernard - Lyon I