[R-sig-Geo] Fwd: Variogram in spatial package

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Sat Jan 27 22:06:29 CET 2007

On Fri, 26 Jan 2007, Hywel Jones wrote:

> A resubmission, as no one has replied and I still have
> the problem.

The spatial package is described in more detail in Venables, W. N. and
Ripley, B. D. (2002) _Modern Applied Statistics with S._ Fourth edition.
Springer, as the help page says.

> > If I fit a trend surface using surf.ls, and then set
> > the krig parameter to use that object in the
> > variogram
> > function, I'm assuming that the variogram produced
> > is
> > calculated for the residuals contained in the trend
> > surface object. Is that right?

Yes, I believe so.

> > I'm afraid I don't have the references to check the
> > following either. Using notation of Cressie, am I
> > right in thinking that the y co-ordinate of the
> > variogram corresponds to gamma (or 2x gamma)? And x:
> > is that h?

The documentation is the source code. Alternatively run the same data
through similar functions in the gstat, geoR, or fields packages to
cross-check?  My reading of MASS is that the plot is of the semi-variogram
with distances in the original scaling.

> > And then, how does h correspond to my original data?
> > i.e. do I interpret it as distance calculated with
> > the
> > original x and y submitted to surf.ls, or as
> > distance
> > calculated with the rescaled x and y used within
> > surf.ls (I understand that the internals rescale x
> > and
> > y to -1:1).
> >
> > I'd actually like to check for isotropy before using
> > this variogram function. Any suggestions as to
> > functions I might use?

I don't think anisotropy is available in the spatial package, perhaps try
one of the other packages?