[R-sig-Geo] CAR model in spdep?

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Fri Feb 16 22:21:33 CET 2007

On Fri, 16 Feb 2007, Rima Izem wrote:

> Hello,
> I teach a spatial stat course, and I used S+ spatial package for areal
> data analysis in the past. I am switching to R this year and I was
> hoping to use spdep or other R libraries.
>
> The description of spdep in R lists both SAR and CAR as models fitted by
> the library. As far as I could tell, the sarlm sequence (summary.sarlm,
> residuals.sarlm, predict.sarlm..etc) presents  output of a SAR model fit
> and there is nothing for CAR. I could not find a built-in function in R
> for fitting the spatial CAR model in other R libraries either, am I
> missing something?

The sarlm are the "spatial econometrics" functions, SAR/CAR including
weights are in the newer spautolm() function, also in spdep. The examples
used there are the ones taken from Waller and Gotway, and get quite close
(weighted CAR is hardest to reproduce). The spdep package is getting
unwieldy, time for a proper vignette, maybe? Please let me know if you
have suggestions.

Hope this helps,

Roger