[R-sig-Geo] R vs GSLIB

Edzer J. Pebesma e.pebesma at geo.uu.nl
Fri Feb 16 11:36:26 CET 2007

Hi Thierry,

I think spatstat covers point pattern analysis, which is mostly not
covered by gslib. I have seen either no or small differences between
gstat and gslib, but never differences that I could not explain. They
may for instance relate to how you integrate covariances over a block;
there's many ways you can do this, all approximate. Other issues are
neighbourhood selections that may be non-unique (e.g. take the nearest
20 neighbours).

I don't know of anyone who did a systematic comparison; you may want to
ask on ai-geostats.  I also don't know how to address the gslib
community, if there is one. Has the open source version ever been
updated since the printing of the 2nd edition of the book? Who to
address with bugs or issues?
--
Edzer