[R-sig-Geo] R + GRASS in win XP

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Sun Aug 26 08:09:48 CEST 2007

On Sat, 25 Aug 2007, Michal Gallay wrote:

> Dear R Users,
>
> recently I've attempted to run R with GRASS from QGIS GRASS shell in
> Windows XP. It was my first try and didn't work.

Until very recently, the QGIS/GRASS combination changed so often that it
wasn't feasible to try to make any interface work. The solution was to
read and write temporary files manually.

In order to make progress, the exact QGIS release (0.8.1?), and R output
from sessionInfo() is needed, as well as your commands on (say) spearfish,
and the verbatin error message and th output of traceback(). My guess is
that the OS is being recognised in R as "windows", and that file paths are
being constructed for Cygwin (which works), and which is currently the
only style available. Almost certainly there are PATH issues too, that is
that GRASS program executables are not being found, but without more
information, it is difficult to check.

It is possible that the 0.8.1 release note for Windows:

"If you install QGIS in a path containing spaces (for example "C:\Program
Files\Quantum GIS") you may experience problems with certain features, in
particular the GRASS toolbox functions"

is relevant.

Hope this helps,

Roger