[R-sig-Geo] Good projection for N/S America?

White.Denis at epamail.epa.gov White.Denis at epamail.epa.gov
Mon Apr 9 18:00:35 CEST 2007

For preview graphics and for large areas such as continents, large
countries, hemispheres, or the whole earth, spherical projections are
often adequate.  I can provide some of the ones I have used.  For
detailed work at sites and small areas, ellipsoidal projections such as
UTM are usually used, and then the coding gets more complicated with
choices of datums and so forth.

r-sig-geo-bounces at stat.math.ethz.ch wrote on 2007-04-08 07:56:03:

> Denis,
>
> That's really useful. It occurs to me that we only really need a
> half-dozen basic projections to cover 90% of user cases. Perhaps these
> could be incorporated into the 'sp' group somewhere and relieve the
> dependence on proj4. (It could be packaged separately for R  for the
> other 10% of cases where its needed.)
>
> THK
>
> On 4/6/07, White.Denis at epamail.epa.gov <White.Denis at epamail.epa.gov>
wrote:
> > Thanks, Roger.  There was a request to see the R code for these
figures.
> > Attached is the script for the second PDF file plus the input
boundary
> > file I used for the hemisphere.  The three projection functions are
for
> > simple spherical, rather than ellipsoidal, models of the earth.  The
> > graticule generating function could be more elegant.  I'm not yet up
> > speed with sp and the many new spatial capabilities in R so please
> > excuse the old style "lines()" format encoding and graphics.
> >
> > Tim, I don't know whether proj4 could do the interrupted sinusoidal.
> >
> > (See attached file: whemi.projs.r)(See attached file: whemi.lin)
> >
> > r-sig-geo-bounces at stat.math.ethz.ch wrote on 2007-04-06 04:51:53:
> >
> > > Since this topic is of general interest, I've made an exception
and
> > > allowed (this once!) a posting of more than 200K. In general, if
> > graphics
> > > are big, please consider either an alternative device (png is
often
> > OK),
> > > or posting just a URL to the real file.
> > >
> > > With apologies to list members on dial-up connections in the
field,

> > > Roger

US
> > for

> > data, we
> > coordinate

> > it
> > the

> > <White.Denis at epamail.epa.gov>

For
> > many
> > equal
> > area
> > parallels.)

> > projection
> > the
> > south
> > than
> > this
> > rest of

Predicting

http://www.keittlab.org/tkeitt/

> > > --
> > > Roger Bivand
> > > Economic Geography Section, Department of Economics, Norwegian
School
> > of
> > > Economics and Business Administration, Helleveien 30, N-5045
Bergen,