[R-sig-Geo] [R-SIG-Mac] Problems installing rgdal from source

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Sun Sep 10 16:11:29 CEST 2006

On Sat, 9 Sep 2006, Jonathan Greenberg wrote:

> I am going through some similar problems getting rgdal running on macos x:
>
> sudo ./usr/local/bin/R64 CMD INSTALL
> --configure-args='--with-proj-include=/usr/local/include
> --with-proj-lib=/usr/local/lib' rgdal

> checking proj_api.h usability... yes
> checking proj_api.h presence... yes
> checking for proj_api.h... yes
> checking for pj_init_plus in -lproj... no
> libproj.a and/or proj_api.h not found.
> If the PROJ.4 library is installed in a non-standard location,
> use --configure-args='--with-proj-include=/opt/local/include
> --with-proj-lib=/opt/local/lib' for example, replacing /opt/local/*
> with appropriate values for your installation.
> If PROJ.4 is not installed, install it.
> ERROR: configuration failed for package 'rgdal'
> ** Removing '/usr/local/lib64/R/library/rgdal'
> ** Restoring previous '/usr/local/lib64/R/library/rgdal'

Is there any possibility that pj_init_plus is being hidden? Is this maybe
a symptom of the buggy gcc (gcc not running correctly in configure)? With
two people with the same problem (configure not finding a function in
libproj.a that has to be there, and when libproj.a is in a very standard
place), it must be possible to establish what they share. What is the gcc
version?

Roger

e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no