[R-sig-Geo] shapefiles, images, iimagemaps, and removinginternalboundary lines

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Thu Oct 19 21:56:55 CEST 2006

On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 matt.pettis at thomson.com wrote:

> Thanks! Got it to work.
>
> However, the install of "imagemap" didn't work for me... I'm on Windows
> XP, and the souce comes in a .tar.gz file, which the 'Packages > Install
> packages(s) from local .zip files...' doesn't recognize.  Any alternate
> location for this, or a method for windows xp to import this module
> correctly?

The *.tar.gz is a source package. The *.zip are typically Windows binary
packages, pre-built. Some Windows users with programming experience do
build their own from source, the toolset is described in Appendix E of the
R Installation and Administration manual, and package installation in Ch.
6. If that isn't for you (or anybody nearby), say, and someone may have a
go at building a Windows binary. Whether it is worth the trouble for
spatial objects will however depend on the objects you want to make
clickable, if they are simple, it'll work, but if they are polygons with
very detailed boundaries (remember that the image map is raster while the
boundaries are vector), it may not scale well. Probably worth trying,
though.

Roger

e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no