[R-sig-Geo] how to do a principle component analysis with geo-referenced points

Nicholas Lewin-Koh nikko at hailmail.net
Sun Nov 12 04:22:44 CET 2006

Hi Carlos,
I think that there are tools in the sp package for dealing with grids.
If I am understanding you correctly and you want to do "zoning" of your
region
than you probably are not looking to do pca, but some sort of
clustering.
Marie Jose Fortin had some nice papers on a technique called wombling,
for finding
regions of abrupt ecological change. There are some other techniques for
spatial partitioning,
but I am not sure if they are implemented in R. It has been a long time
since
I worked on ecological problems.

For more information on the spatial tools in R a good place to start is
 http://cran.r-project.org/src/contrib/Views/Spatial.html
the CRAN task view for spatial statistics, and
http://cran.r-project.org/src/contrib/Views/Environmetrics.html
has some more pointers.

Hope this helps,

Nicholas