[R-sig-Geo] suppress projection string in rgdal "project"

Michael Sumner mdsumner at utas.edu.au
Wed Mar 22 07:13:43 CET 2006

Hello, I was delighted to find that the PROJ.4 functionality comes
embedded right into the rgdal package on the Windows platform.

R 2.2.1, rgdal  0.4-3

I'm using it to convert back and forth from lon/lat to projected
coordinates - basically I want to sample points from the projected
coordinate space, but I need to perform calculations using lon/lat - so
I can't save up the coordinates for one big conversion etc.

I'd like to suppress the printing of the PROJ.4 string when calling
project(), I guess it's due to this line in projectit.c

Rprintf("%s\n", pj_get_def(pj, 0));

My question is, what's the easiest way to suppress the printing of the
string in each call?  (Apart from editing and recompiling from source
myself, that is).

Is this a simple and sensible feature request?

Cheers, Mike.