[R-sig-Geo] Polar mapping

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Wed Feb 22 19:49:17 CET 2006

On Wed, 22 Feb 2006, Anne Hertel wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have some geographical data for the Northern Hemisphere. It is a
> rectangular matrix with longitudes and latitudes. I would like to plot
> that so the resulting plot is a circle centered on the North Pole with
> contours, so you only see the Northern Hemisphere. Also I would like to
> overlay that with a map of the Northern Hemisphere continents. Does
> anybody know if it is possible to create plots like that in R?

If the image at the foot of the spproj section of this:

http://r-spatial.sourceforge.net/xtra/xtra.RHnw.html

is anything like what you need, you'll see some code there for projecting
an image (by making the rectangular grid cells into polygons). Projecting
contours should work too - create them as a SpatialLinesDataFrame first
with for example sp function contourLines2SLDF().

Which platform are you using? The spproj functions will soon(ish) become
available in the rgdal package, which may make things easier.