[R-sig-Geo] installing rgdal on Ubuntu 6.10

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Sun Dec 17 21:40:17 CET 2006

On Sun, 17 Dec 2006, Patrick Giraudoux wrote:

> Tim Keitt a écrit :
> > Try installing libgdal1-1.3.1-dev which contains the header files and
> > should have gdal-config.
> OK. Just dit it... Worked well and rgdal could then be installed from R.
> First trials within R and some rgdal examples came OK.

Am I right that the conclusion is that, for Ubuntu, the required packages
are:

libgdal1-1.*-dev for the header files and gdal-config;
libgdal1-1.* for the libraries; and probably
gdal-bin for the GDAL applications if needed externally?

Should I put this on Rgeo?

Searching "gdal" on http://packages.ubuntulinux.org/ does lead to what is
available for a given distribution.

Roger