[R-sig-Geo] Can you krige with a nominal response variable

Edzer J. Pebesma e.pebesma at geo.uu.nl
Thu Dec 7 11:49:36 CET 2006

Ken,

The indicator kriging idea does not stop at a single binary variable.
The "standard" (or "Stanford"?) way of getting non-negative predictions,
and possibly predictions that sum to one is rather pragmatic--simply
postprocessing predictions. There is a cleaner solution, called
compositional kriging, which adds the "predictions should be
non-negative and sum to one" constraint to the kriging system, but I
don't know if implemenations are available in R. For compositional data
analysis you may want to explore the R package compositions. I believe
it does not do compositional kriging, but perhaps its author has
suggestions; I Cc:'d this email to the author.

Best regards,
--
Edzer