Solved (was Re: [R-sig-Geo] Error to load rgdal)
stanimura-ngs at umin.ac.jp
Fri May 13 05:39:41 CEST 2005
Finally rgdal works. Please accept my apology that I did not mention
about an important point.
The cause of my failure is that rgdal can not find libgdal.so because
of difference in the names.
Dear Roger, you are right. The fact is that the names of gdal library are
libgdal, libgdal.1, libgdal.1.7.0, but not libgdal.so, libgdal.so.1, or
libgdal.so.1.7.0. Compiling from tar.gz put "so" into the library names,
but compiling through rpm 4.0.5 provides the library names without "so".
Unfortunately, even though I am not professional, I am a voluntary
maintainer of the gdal package for VineLinux. So, I should find out
the solution of this problem. I checked rpm packages of other
distributions such as SUSE, FC3, and Mandrke, and found that, even
nothing special was given in spec files, the library names includes
Anyway, I did
# cd /usr/lib
# ln -s libgdal libgdal.so
and then reinstall rgdal package.
This enables rgdal to be loaded into R.
More information about the R-sig-Geo