[R-sig-Geo] maptools package rejects some polygon shapefiles?

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Thu May 12 10:58:31 CEST 2005

On Wed, 11 May 2005, Rick Reeves wrote:

> Roger:
>
> Thanks for the quick response. Here is the file,
> and I will follow your suggestions.....
> The ArcCatalog metadata section claims that this
> is a Simple Polygon file, Topology FALSE,
> feature count 558, spatial index = TRUE,
> Linear Referencing = TRUE, geographic coord system

Rick:

(I'm replying to the list too to ask for comments)

The file is recognised by ogrinfo as:

$ ogrinfo NorthAmericaBest.shp
INFO: Open of `NorthAmericaBest.shp'
using driver `ESRI Shapefile' successful.
1: NorthAmericaBest (3D Polygon)

It should not be too difficult to change read.shape to read 3D points as
3D, and 3D lines and polygons as 2D. I guess that stripping the Z values
is not a problem for anybody (excepting points I think)?

Thanks for your help - with a sample file to study, making this work will
be much easier. Does anyone have 3D lines and 3D points files?

Best wishes,

Roger