[R-sig-Geo] Geos library

Timothy H. Keitt tkeitt at mail.utexas.edu
Tue Oct 5 21:06:46 CEST 2004

On Tue, 2004-10-05 at 12:54, Edzer J. Pebesma wrote:
> Hisaji ONO wrote:
>
> > How about using PostGIS which has an interface to GEOS?
> >
> > And PostGIS's spatial indices has good performance for overlay analysises
> >and spatial queries.
> >
> > And R has a few interfaces to PostgreSQL.
> >

> There's much to say for this. Maybe the question is whether we want to
> implement a GIS or interface to GIS, using R. Of course both is possible,
> but who would prefer using R over existing GIS for GIS functionality?
> This question needs zooming in wrt different types of functionality.

Yes, this is a key point. R could be converted into a pretty good GIS
platform, but how many would use it? Perhaps better is to hook R into a
client like UDIG (http://udig.refractions.net/). I'm imagining opening a
UDIG session for spatial preprocessing and then attaching an R session
with access to the UDIG data structures for model fitting. Of course,
one would still need proxy classes covering the geotools api.

T.