[R-sig-Geo] Re: About dealing 2-byte code characters(ex.Japanese) in new maptools

Susumu Tanimura stanimura-ngs at umin.ac.jp
Tue Nov 2 10:39:07 CET 2004

Hi there,

Examination of the problem with both Shift-JIS encoded and EUC-JP
encoded DBF in R-2.0 on win98 reminded me that no Japanese characters
can display in the original R for windows from CRAN.

On R localized to Japanese, downloadable from
http://r.nakama.ne.jp/R-2.0.0/binary/win32/, I succeeded to display
Japanese characters with read.dbf() from foreign 0.8-0 on R-2.0, win98
when Shift-JIS encoded DBF is tested.  Since we cannot basically deal with EUC-JP
in windows system, trial with EUC-JP encoded DBF failed.

Because I do not have WinXP, I could not examine on WinXP.  If WinXP works
only with unicode and dose not work with Shit-JIS, conventional
encoding for windows, this could be essential issue.

I hope this helpful.

--
Susumu Tanimura
Dept. of Socio-environmental Medicine