[R-sig-Geo] Re: About dealing 2-byte code characters(ex.Japanese) in new maptools

Susumu Tanimura stanimura-ngs at umin.ac.jp
Tue Nov 2 09:31:29 CET 2004

Dear  Professor Bivand,

> > My environment: VineLinux3.0, R-2.0.0_ja-1vl1, maptools ver. 0.4-8
> >

> which also means foreign_0.8-0, because maptools_0.4-8 depends on it.
> Note that the problem was on Windows XP, I think with the standard
> binary R from CRAN.

Yes, the problem was on WinXP but I wanted to suggest not all platform
had the problem.  And I knew Ono-san use Japanized one, too, it may
not be always though.

> > Availing myself of this question, let me ask a way to confirm if
> > read.dbf() has been surely replaced by maptools.  I have just done
> > "update.packages()" for obtaining the latest foreign and maptools.
>
> The internal function dbf.read(), accessed as maptools:::dbf.read() in
> maptools up to 0.4-6, and as dbf.read() in maptools 0.4-7 is not present
>
> at all in maptools 0.4-8. If you just type the names of the functions at
>
> the prompt, the final line shows which namespace they live in:
>
> > library(maptools)
> > read.dbf
> function (file, as.is = FALSE)
> {
>     df
> }
> <environment: namespace:foreign>
>
> shows that read.dbf() from foreign is being used.

All right.  I realized my misunderstanding. The old functions such as
dbf.read() and dbf.write() have gone to the foreign 0.8-0 packages
with changing the name as read.dbf() and write.dbf(), haven't they?

Thanks.

--
Susumu Tanimura
Dept. of Socio-environmental Medicine