[R-sig-Geo] Re: About dealing 2-byte code characters(ex.Japanese) in new maptools

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Mon Nov 1 09:56:48 CET 2004

On Mon, 1 Nov 2004, Susumu Tanimura wrote:

> Dear Ono-san and Professor Bivand,
>
> In my environment, Japanese characters in your example works fine with
> read.dbf() in maptools ver. 0.4-8.

Thank you for this contribution - it is not easy to debug
platform-dependent issues like this. I think having a corpus of files
would also help - as you mention below, the coding standard may differ as
does the platform. Having a small collection of DBF files known not to
behave the same across platforms should help, I hope - I can host them, or
maybe one of those of you close to the 2-byte character problem could host
them?

> My environment: VineLinux3.0, R-2.0.0_ja-1vl1, maptools ver. 0.4-8

which also means foreign_0.8-0, because maptools_0.4-8 depends on it. Note
that the problem was on Windows XP, I think with the standard binary R
from CRAN.

> I am afraid that it is due to EUC-JP encoded DBF file and R localized
> into Japanese, though.

This is possible, but all input is helpful here, also because R will
migrate towards multi-character support at some stage.

> Availing myself of this question, let me ask a way to confirm if
> read.dbf() has been surely replaced by maptools.  I have just done
> "update.packages()" for obtaining the latest foreign and maptools.

The internal function dbf.read(), accessed as maptools:::dbf.read() in
maptools up to 0.4-6, and as dbf.read() in maptools 0.4-7 is not present
at all in maptools 0.4-8. If you just type the names of the functions at
the prompt, the final line shows which namespace they live in:

> library(maptools)
> read.dbf
function (file, as.is = FALSE)
{
    df
}
<environment: namespace:foreign>

shows that read.dbf() from foreign is being used.